> Hi!
> > I sent out an e-mail to the Shale mailing list a week or so ago about
> the
> > possibility of merging Shale with MyFaces. Development of Shale has
> become
> > somewhat stale, and I'd rather see MyFaces pickup the pieces than
> have the
> > code base atrophy The overwhelming consensus for the Shale list is
> "yes"
> > (and Craig is no exception). What does the MyFaces PMC think?
> >
> I am +1.

I'm not on the PMC, but I wanted to state +1 for the record. From dealing
with students and clients, I think this would be a good thing for JSF.

> I think we just have to define which modules we would like to take
> over:
> (BTW, this list is not to offend anyone, if this might happen, then
> sorry in advance - it might be just due to not sensitively enough
> choosen english wording.)
>

>     * Application Controller
> Don't know. I thought action oriented frameworks are outdated, though,
> Seam seems to introduce this paradigm again too.

-1. It's probably better to integrate any sort of direct request processing
into the Remoting support (I know it's currently implemented using the
Application Controller, but that's an implementation detail). Also, I don't
know if anyone actually uses this.

>     * Clay
> Don't know. I am happy that we (I) moved away from html to components.

-1. Although I know Clay has some supporters, Facelets and JSFTemplating are
going to affect JSF 2.0 the most. I'd love to see some of the Clay people
help out with Facelets, actually.

>     * Core Library
> Might be a must have

+1

>     * Dialog Manager
>     * Dialog Manager (Basic Implementation)
>     * Dialog Manager (SCXML Implementation)
> The Dialog Manager might be a next step for MyFaces Orchestra. Anyway,
> hope that one of the original developers is still there to help out
> with
> things.

+0 I like the idea of integrating this with Orchestra, although I'm not
convinced that Spring should be a requirement to use this feature. If that's
the case, you might as well use Spring Web Flow.

>     * Remoting
> Unsure, as most of this can be done with PPR too.

+1 This is pretty useful and easy to use, and will affect JSF 2.0.

>     * Spring Integration
> Unsure, I didn't get whats the advantage to the intregration with
> Spring

-1 This is pretty useless now as far as I can tell.

>     * Test Framework
> Must have I think

+1

>     * Tiger Extensions
> Interesting, however, I'd like to tell everyone to use Spring as MB
> facility. And then Spring needs to provide such annotations (which are
> already existent I think)

+1 This will serve as a blueprint for JSF 2.0, and it's quite useful.
Although it's nice to use Spring, not everybody does, and we shouldn't force
people to do so.

>     * Tiles Integration
> See Clay.

+0 I'll abstain here and since I don't know much about the Tiles side of
things. Let's just say that I think Tiles integration should "just work" in
MyFaces and Shale.

>     * Validator Support
> A generic client/server validation library for JSF would be REALLY
> nice.
> Just, I don't like the idea just having a single component for this
> (val:commonsValidator), at least, this one needs to be extended.

-1 I haven't heard of too many people using this these days, since Ajax is
usually easier to do these days. If this is a big desire by the community,
it'd make more sense to integrate it as a proper set of validators or
components.

>     * View Controller
> This needs to be reviewed and merged with the Orchestra one if possible

+1 This is a requirement, I think.

Kito D. Mann - Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
http://www.virtua.com - JSF/Java EE consulting, training, and mentoring
http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info