The LifecycleProvider interface was introduced in MyFaces core 1.2.0 as an integration point that allows Java EE containers to handle annotation processing for JSF managed beans. In order to help containers invoke @PostConstruct methods more consistently with the Java EE RI (glassfish) we are discussing changing this API in:
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-1761

I attached a patch (MYFACES-1761-01.diff) to that JIRA that would change a method signature from :
   LifecycleProvider.newInstance(String className)
   LifecycleProvider.newInstance(ManagedBean beanConfig)

The only known implementer of the LifecycleProvider interface (outside of MyFaces itself) is the Geronimo project, which is in favor of this change. Are there any concerns with changing this external api in the upcoming 1.2.1 maintenance release?

BTW, this patch also refactors ManagedBeanBuilder into ManageBeanInitializer so that the existing code in that class can still be used to initialize managed properties. Unless I am mistaken ManagedBeanBuilder was not intended to be externally overridden or extended, so refactoring it should not affect our users.

Best wishes,
Paul