Thanks Mark,

just some short notes inline

Mark Hobson schrieb:
> Hi Bernd,
>
> I've finished with the major changes in tidying up the Codehaus
> apt-maven-plugin if you fancy taking a look:
>
> http://svn.codehaus.org/mojo/trunk/sandbox/apt-maven-plugin/
>
> Major changes:
> - Manually merged in any exclusive features I could see in the Tobago version
> - Big refactor to simplify code
> - Added integration test intrastructure with a few tests to start with
> - Supported plugin dependencies (TOBAGO-130/MOJO-1072)
>
> I've also just removed any Java compliation support from the plugin
> since I couldn't see any advantage of duplicating this with the
> maven-compiler-plugin.  Can you see any problems with that?

I don't use this parameter, but this would break backwards compatibility.

> A few further points I'd like to ask you about:
>
> 1) Do you use extra source roots?  I'm tempted to remove this
> parameter since it tends to go against the standard of using the
> project's current source roots.

Yes, I need this parameter. We unpack a source artifact and process the
containing source code too. But the extra source root should not
included in the compile.

> 2) Do you use the resource target path parameter?  I'd have thought
> that the apt factory should control this.
Yes, I think the apt processor should only generate files and the
resource plugin should copy the resources.

> 3) Do you use the target files parameter?  I wouldn't have thought
> you'd need such fine-grained control of source files to process when
> using Maven.

Yes, we did see 4

> 4) Do you use staleness checking?  I'm not too convinced by this
> implementation since it checks source files against class files to
> determine staleness.  This is a problem when using -nocompile as the
> class file timestamp has no correlation with the staleness of
> generated resources.  Auto-compiling IDEs then also pose a further
> problem since they never let a class file become stale, hence
> resources are never generated with apt.

Yes, with the target file parameter the apt plugin is only called if the
source code has changed.

> I'd be interested in any feedback on using this plugin with Tobago.
> Feel free to move any existing JIRA issues across to the apt component
> in MOJO:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MOJO/component/13192
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

You can look at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/tobago/trunk/core/pom.xml for
some usages of the tobago apt plugin

The old apt plugin from codehaus provides a 'generateToBuildDir'
property. I think this parameter is useless. What do you think?

Regards

Bernd