I've been looking at hal_gpio_toggle and it's declaration could be improved by
removing the return value:

        void hal_gpio_toggle(int pin);

As it currently stands, by requiring a return value of the pin state one cannot
use the HW support of most processors to toggle the pin, and it's also not
possible to accomplish in an atomic manner.

If the underlying HW support for toggling a pin cannot be used it makes the API
call redundant, it can be accomplished by a hal_gpio_read/hal_gpio_write combo.

Is there a chance the API can be changed? And how do we go about that?

Markus