Hello:

I was wondering what the community thinks of adding “sample” targets to the
core repo? I started thinking about this while doing a bsp for a nrf52840pdk +
semtech sx1272 lora arduino shield. To get things working I took the easy (i.e.
lame) approach of copying the nrf52840pdk bsp and appending _sx1272mb2das to
it. Part of the reason this needed to be done is how the current lora code is
implemented (no MYNEWT_VALS for GPIO and such). However, the lora code is going
to be modified to define GPIO and such through MYNEWT_VALs. Once this is done
there is no need to create a new BSP for a shield/development board combo: you
can simply define everything in the target. I think having targets to “mate”
bsps w/shields is a much better approach than creating a whole new bsp. Of
course, the only way for this to work would be to have all GPIO/Peripheral pins
in all drivers uses be MYNEWT_VALs but that seems to be the way things are
moving anyway.

Given the above, I think it might be a good idea to have a /targets dir in a
repo. I do not think the mynewt tool can find a target that is not in a
particular dir but that is not a big deal.

So, two questions:

1) Do folks agree that the best way to do a shield is to do this through a
target?
2) Should we add targets to the core repo?

Thanks!