Maybe Im misunderstanding, as Im personally digging into a bunch of fs
stuff right now myself..

But Kevins code snippet brings up something im thinking about. In his
comments he has

> CONFIG_NFFS: 1        # Initialize and configure NFFS into the
>     system

I dont agree with that comment, whats thats actually doing is turning on
the config subsystem and telling it to create its own nffs. Then hes
coattail riding on config's nffs partition.

the 'way' to create your own nffs seems to be to disable config entirely,
because in the bsp config fcb and nffs both want to use FLASH_AREA_NFFS,
and then add
    - "@apache-mynewt-core/fs/nffs"

But obviously it seems like youd be well within you're rights to share a
disk resource between a bunch of packages.

However the way config and most packages work is to take a whole flash area
for themselves and pass it to nffs or fcb or whatever, so they actually
dont seem to share very well? Maybe config should be less opinionated and
take a premade fs, which the user (or bsp) preconfigured as an fcb or fat
or nffs or whatever. Then it wouldnt feel like im using configs disk (and
if I turn config off, the disk I was using wouldnt go away)

I also think this fits into something else Im trying to figure out which is
multiple nffs partitions and external flash. The flash area concept doesnt
work at all for that currently.