When pointed at the apache server, on the other hand, "go get" seems to
require the ".git" suffix.  An I mentioned earlier, this results in the
creation of a directory that also has the ".git" suffix.

The problem is: the behavior of "git clone" is in conflict with the
behavior of "go get", at least with regards to the apache git server.
At one point the installation documentation was accurate, but it seems
we have since opted for git-friendliness rather than
go-get-friendliness.

We will need to find a simpler workaround.  In the meantime, we should
at least update the documentation.  Also, soon newt binaries will be
available for download which help to alleviate problems with go.

Weren't Todd & Aditi making "mynewt.apache.org" a valid import path, that would point to the proper Apache git repository? I thought this would solve that problem?

Sterling