I’ll add a +1 here. Especially for the ‘Maker’ market, etc. where access to a
JTAG programmer may be cost prohibitive. least common denominator (serial,
typically over USB) is a great thing.

Having a bootloader that will *always* run, and is accessible via serial, makes
debugging bad firmware a lot easier, makes recovering a bricked device
possible, and makes simple programming of a device easy. If developers don’t
have to re-flash a bootloader, but just send over a new app, that makes things
simple for developers. Especially for the relatively inexperienced developer
who will have a greater tendency to send over a bad image and cause havoc on
the device. I’d also advocate for a separate process for flashing a new
bootloader just to add an extra level of protection in case someone *does*
alter the bootloader code, flash it, and it’s bad. What I’m saying is that we
should make it very hard, if almost impossible, for software to kill hardware.

Best regards,
dg

--
David G. Simmons
(919) 534-5099
 * Public key available at keyserver.pgp.com
**/
♺ This email uses 100% recycled electrons. Don't blow it by printing!

There are only 2 hard things in computer science: Cache invalidation, naming
things, and off-by-one errors.