I also think the calls to read() and write() should be modified to take a flag, which tells whether or not to generate a STOP.

Linux’s I2C APIs take a linked list of commands to pass to the device that encompass an I2C “transaction.” The last element of that generates the STOP.

This seems like a nice programming model, but probably too heavyweight for a HAL, and if we add a driver interface, we can always layer this on top of the HAL interface.

Sterling