I agree — the license seems perfectly acceptable for ASF releases, but it is non-standard. It’s like somebody modified a BSD license to be a MIT license.

+/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------/
+/ FatFs - Generic FAT file system module R0.12b /

+/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/
 +/
 +/ Copyright (C) 2016, ChaN, all right reserved.
 +/
+/ FatFs module is an open source software. Redistribution and use of FatFs in +/ source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided
 +/ that the following condition is met:
 +
+/ 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
 +/    this condition and the following disclaimer.
 +/
+/ This software is provided by the copyright holder and contributors "AS IS"
 +/ and any warranties related to this software are DISCLAIMED.
+/ The copyright owner or contributors be NOT LIABLE for any damages caused
 +/ by use of this software.