Hello Darrin,
I kind of see the point regarding JHS ports. May be there is truth to it.
Regarding my issues with role/no role.
I had this issue for NMs with random ports (not hardcoded), as it has different
code path when role is present and when it is not. My impression those are bugs.
I am happy to point you to the places in the code that caused issues on master
(at least for me).[1] does not increment numDefaultValues if role is set (which
is always set), subsequently [2] has issues[3] same thing - fills out list only
if there is no role, but again it is always there, just set to "*"

Regarding:>>> To handle nodemanager persistence I think we should work with
Klaus's PR's to get thecorrect ports, though we'll need to use some disk
persistence as well to
keep the NM state.
Disk persistence won't help here (not even sure NM has much state to persist -
even if it does it should be taken care by YARN), as containers have to
reconnect to NM after it restarts, so they have to know RPC port.
Thanks,Yuliya
[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-myriad/blob/master/myriad-scheduler/src/main/java/org/apache/myriad/scheduler/resource/RangeResource.java#L85
[2]