I have downloaded the Punjabi langpack for a friend (on WinXP) to have a
look at. Since the langpack is for 2.0.1 does that mean that I should
also find and download the EN 2.0.1 for installing on her PC with the
langpack, or can I use the current release of 2.2?

No, it should work all right with a 2.2...

I'm almost sure it won't work all right on 2.2.

Reasons:

- many changed strings between both versions
- many changed IDs of strings between both version
- help IDs mismatch

etc. etc.
--
Pavel Janík