Alexandro,

Le 26/02/10 11:51, Alexandro Colorado a écrit :

>>> Are you saying I can't patch things myself? That is a ridiculous
>>> statement for a FLOSS project.
>>

>> No I'm not saying this at all. You are free to patch pretty much
>> everything in Free and Open Source Software. In fact you're even free to
>> patch the Linux kernel, but it does not mean that 1) your patch will be
>> accepted 2) the patch will be integrated as fast as you want if it is
>> accepted.
>
> Seems to me my patch got accepted just fine, release guys got no
> problem taking my builds.

And obviously they knew they would run out of time to integrate it
before the release. It was RC 5 remember. So far, all this does look
like if you could only submit your patch at RC 5 level, perhaps the ES
QA process is somewhat suboptimal.

>> What we have here now is rigorously identical. You released a patch
>> somewhere around the RC 5 (RC 5, again, not beta nor RC 1) and then you
>> are surprised when you're being told your patch came in too late and
>> that it will be included in the next micro-release (2.3.1). But that is
>> not enough for you so you decide to switch builds.
>
> Well I was a bit surprised specially because they ask us to gsicheck
> it which send the signal that they will integrate it asap.

Perhaps this calls for a clarification of the process of patch
integration, especially the l10n related ones. It would probably be
helpful, what do you think?

>> So in short, it's not about freedom: it's about following a community
>> process. Not following such a process is ridiculous for a FLOSS project.
>
> As far as I know the process wasn't really affected, there was a QA,
> there was a release build, and it was patched and then released with
> no major question asked.

That's an interesting way to formulate it: if you were fine with
whatever the release team did then why do we find ourselves in a
situation where builds got switched?

> The only issue here is somewhat amusing since
> you are not in QA, nor release nor l10n. So what exactly is your
> business here?

I am in QA, and I'm in l10n, because that's my role: NLC is QA + l0n +
documentation + marketing + users support. I am supposed to stand, just
like you and every other native-lang lead, at the crossroads of each of
these efforts. This becomes particularly acute when I receive complaints
on one specific localization. In this case it turns out it was the ES one.

Charles.