Louis

Maaori language has a large number of bilingual speakers at the old age and
very young (language nests called Kohanga Reo take children from birth and
school up to undergraduate university level all in te reo Maaori)

Fundamental structural Governmental changes around land property rights are
taking place due to the MMP nature of New Zealand electrical system on trial
at present.

This foundation building must take place and over the top of this securing
of the language base will come the translation work in Ooo as I understand
the landscape of progress to Maaori Ooo.

A native language international conference held in new Zealand and hosted by
Maaori catering for the worlds' population of Ooo experienced people in
translation would be a good vision and goal.

Ideas?

Roddy Young
New Zealand

ps
"

the physics arXiv blog

How to Prevent Language Extinction

Two third of the world's languages are endangered. Now a new mathematical
model of language competition suggests how to combat the threat

The 7 billion inhabitants of Earth currently speak about 6000 different
languages. That may seem a healthy multitude but it turns out that just five
of these languages dominate. More than half the population speak English,
Russian, Mandarin, Hindi and Spanish. These together with the next hundred
most popular languages account for 95 per cent of speakers. A mere 5 per
cent of the global population speak the rest and two thirds of these lingos
are in danger of extinction.

That's a perilous state of affairs. With the death of a language, the planet
loses an irreplaceable cultural phenomenon. The fear is that the big five
may crush all before them, pushing weaker languages into oblivion and
leaving a cultural desert in their wake.

That fear has been exacerbated by mathematical models describing how one
language can dominate another and showing how easily extinctions happen.

Today, however, there is better news. The relentless march of dominant
languages may not be as inevitable as these early models seemed to show,
according to a new analysis by Jose Mira at the Universidade de Santiago de
Compostela in Spain and a couple of amigos.

The early analyses looked at a stable population in which two languages
competed for speakers who chose one over the other depending on their
perceived social and economic advantages and also their similarity, meaning
how easy it was to switch between the two.

In these models one language always died out and showed an ominous fit with
historical data on the way English has crushed Scottish Gaelic and Welsh,
and how Spanish dominates Quechua. The implication was that the writing was
clearly on the wall for minor argots.

But Mira and co point out that these early models had some serious
limitations. In particular, they do not allow for bilingual speakers, who
are a major linguistic force in many societies. When bilinguals are taken
into account, the models allow for a co-evolution of two languages, such as
Galician and Castillian in north west Spain.

But what of long term stability? Can two languages co-exist in a stable
fashion over a long period of time? Or, put another way, is it ever possible
that the outcome of the competition between two languages is an uneasy
truce?

Today, Mira and and his pals answer this question with a systematic study of
the possible outcomes while varying all the important parameters involved.
They say that languages can co-exist but that this outcome is hugely
sensitive on the initial conditions. "An exogenous injection of just a few
speakers into one group or another can determine whether a language lives or
dies," they say.

That means that the survival of an entire language and all the history it
encompasses can depend on the actions of just a few individuals.

That looks like good news for the many languages currently under threat. If
it is possible to create some bilingual speakers in one of the major
language groups, then their chances of survival could be greatly enhanced.

And in this internet enabled world, the ability to communicate with other
speakers in almost any part of the planet surely makes this more likely.

Ref: arxiv.org/abs/1006.2737: Importance Of Interlinguistic Similarity And
Stable Bilingualism When Two Languages Compete "