Hi All,

While waiting for some testing with beta2 ahead of announcing it, I
wanted to follow up on the discussion [1] about approving convenience
binaries.  There was some talk of having a voting or lazy consensus
thread on them, or linking them to the release vote.

To date, we have only voted on source releases - binaries may have
been ready at vote time, but in the voting template we've been
explicitly telling everyone they're not relevant and not linking them
in!

So, what to do for NB 11.2?

We could add the binaries into the release vote.  That would require
changing our voting template, and I think considering what steps might
need doing in addition to the required steps for a binding release
vote from [2]

We could have concurrent voting or consensus threads on the binary
artefacts, perhaps separate for installers, Maven, etc.  If there is a
problem with any one binary that doesn't require source changes to fix
it, it then need not delay the release vote itself passing.  Some
binaries may come later.

My preference is probably the second option (if we have to do either).

Incidentally, in the original thread my preference was not to do
either of these things so formally!  At the same time, I did think
some process so that another PMC member had given the once-over on any
binary to check requirements had been met was useful.  Neither of
those options actually do that.  Maybe there's merit to a consensus
thread with associated wiki page table of binaries that PMC members
can tick off when they've checked any one of them?  We can know at a
glance what has and hasn't been checked over.

[1] -
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c0d11a5d311bb4bdd73ee8488e0383ea2b04166c820be183b54f1182@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E
[2] - http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#approving-a-release

Volunteer Release Manager for Apache Netbeans 11.2