I made my local repo pristine, set my system JDK to 11, and built the
project with no issues. My original issue with “applemenu” has also
vanished. I’ve made no other concessions for the project with local
configuration, it just works out of the box now, which is fantastic.

I did have to set my build command to allow jdk 9, but I’m taking the
README as the truth.

"Requirements
Git
Ant 1.9.9 or above
JDK 8 or 11 (to build NetBeans)
JDK 9 or above (to run NetBeans)"

My problems started when I used a system set JDK 8 to build and run NB.

Thanks everyone!

Steven