Hi Ernie,
  the usual way to handle the choice of colors is to use
UIManager.getColor("laf_color_name") and choose a suitable "laf_color_name".
Every LAF define a set of color names, there are some basic ones (e.g.
selection, text, shadow, button face, etc.) and some widget specific ones
(e.g. button disabled text). Have a look at UIManager class javadoc here:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/javax/swing/UIManager.html section
"Defaults".

The list of available default names (which include colors) for a given LAF
is obtainable with UIManager.getDefaults().keys() . The main problem is
usually to choose a laf color name that is available in all LAFs.

A very nice HTML view of defaults for the Nimbus LAF is available at:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/_nimbusDefaults.html

Hope it helps.

Alex