Hi,

Thanks for kicking this off! :-)

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 at 07:47, Geertjan Wielenga <geert...@apache.org> wrote:
> We’re getting close to the 12.0 release and nb-javac won’t be available at
> the time of release.

For clarity, we have the older nb-javac with support for JDK 13 that
we've had since 11.2 updates.  But we don't have an nb-javac with JDK
14 support.  That should have been available by feature freeze - that
was *a* reason we shifted the schedule back.  As it is it looks like
we might just have it by the planned release date, so even if linked
into 12.0 final, it would have missed all of NetCAT.

Having had the "fun" of a similar problem with 11.2, which broke some
key things and required a quick 11.2 update, I for one would -1
linking it in that late.

We could still push that link to nb-javac for JDK 14 after the 12.0
release, and after additional testing.  That will require a fix for
the third-party update centre to make it trusted and remove the
internal signing - I'll test and do a PR for that in the next couple
of days if no-one else gets around to it.

That means that at release nb-javac in 12.0 would be limited to Java
13, so Java 14 support would require running on JDK 14 and not
installing nb-javac (and us stopping the IDE nagging people about it).

> Ultimately, we’d like to drop the need for nb-javac completely. ... And
> ultimately, of course, this should
> not be based on the JDK on which NetBeans runs, but on the JDK used by a
> particular project.

There was a thread about dropping nb-javac from 12.1 a little while
ago.  Maybe good to keep that conversation separate from the immediate
12.0 issue?  And we'd need to clarify whether the second part is what
we actually want to do?  At 12.0 release we'd get a picture of how
much people want to run on a JDK lower than they want to code against?

> A question is what about JDK 8. My bold suggestion would be that we
> explicitly tell our users that they can’t use our Java Editor if they’re
> running NetBeans on JDK 8.

Why?  This was discussed in that 12.1 thread too, and somewhat
controversial there, but we also discussed keeping the JDK 8 support
for 12.0.  I think we should - the only thing we can't do is support
coding against JDK 14 while running on JDK 8?  And that only,
potentially, until an update is available.