> On May 18, 2020, at 9:54 AM, Neil C Smith <neilcsm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 14:37, Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>> Yes, they are. We want native notifications so we can have native
>> notifications.
>
> You asked why it couldn't be done in pure Java.
>
>> That's still not an answer. What is the use case?
>
> Notifications that show up outside of the IDE, eg. pop up above
> another application when you've left the IDE doing something?  Of
> course, it's an interesting question of whether there's much overlap
> between notifications you'd want to show up in the IDE window and not?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil

If the OS provides a notification mechanism, that is where notifications are
expected and where notifications should go.
However, this is really something that should be solved in the JDK desktop
module, like the system tray…
e.g. this:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/awt/TrayIcon.html#displayMessage-java.lang.String-java.lang.String-java.awt.TrayIcon.MessageType-

Though if other non-system-tray notifications should be used, then it is still
something that should be addressed by the desktop module and then used by
NetBeans.

I suggest the efforts go towards generic notification support in OpenJDK and
then come back to utilize it in NetBeans. ;-)

Cheers,

Scott