+1 to the idea of a hint on the first line that links to the default license
template if the file does not start with a comment.

We also need per-project templates and perhaps improvements to the default
template. I always figured the default should insert a copyright notice with
the current year at minimum. That’s what I always change my default to.

You can’t imagine how many files were checked in at my last company with the
default template left as is.  Even with the instruction there, “professional”
developers are too lazy to change it :-(. It becomes something they just start
to ignore.

Scott