ls -l /usr/libexec/java_home
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  138832  1 Jan  2020 /usr/libexec/java_home

Ah think I see the issue.  Without the ‘+’ it works...

/usr/libexec/java_home --version 1.8 --failfast
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_202.jdk/Contents/Home

With the ‘+’ I get:
/usr/libexec/java_home --version 1.8+ --failfast
The operation couldn’t be completed. Unable to locate a Java Runtime that
supports (null).
Please visit http://www.java.com for information on installing Java.

Perhaps a fix would mean using the —xml option and parsing out the most
appropriete JDK path?

/usr/libexec/java_home --help
Usage: java_home [options...]
    Returns the path to a Java home directory from the current user's settings.

    [-v/--version   <version>]       Filter versions (as if JAVA_VERSION had
been set in the environment).
    [-a/--arch      <architecture>]  Filter architecture (as if JAVA_ARCH had
been set in the environment).
    [-F/--failfast]                  Fail when filters return no JVMs, do not
continue with default.
    [   --exec      <command> ...]   Execute the $JAVA_HOME/bin/<command> with
the remaining arguments.
    [-X/--xml]                       Print full JVM list and additional data as
XML plist.
    [-V/--verbose]                   Print full JVM list with architectures.
    [-h/--help]                      This usage information.

Regards,

Scott