Hi Neil,

> On Sat, 11 Sept 2021 at 22:43, Oliver Rettig <oliver.ret...@orat.de> wrote:
> > I am still using the netbeans buildin installing stuff but it was always
> > difficult for me to figure out how to implement specific needs. Main
> > disadvanatage for me was need of a jre installed on the pc to use the
> > installer and the lack of a tool to includes the app-icons in the
> > executables.
>
> I've not used the built-in installers for the platform for years
> myself now for these reasons, and more.

I would suggest to create a cwiki-page maybe under How-to-Articles or is it a
better place? I think a place to collect all the informations about the
advantages and disadvantages of the nbi and also to collect old documentation
parts to the usage of the nbi would be great. Also to collect alternatives as
your approach ...

> > it needs a better structure which makes it possible to implement
> > app-specific parts in the src of the app instead of all putting in the
> > harness dir
> Are there particular app-specific things you have in mind?  What
> customizations, packaging types, support, etc. might we need to
> consider if we take this route?

I always need support for Windows and Linux. I often us to set platform
dependend file-type-associations which to allow that a double-click on a file
of
specific type automatically opens my Netbeans-RCP-App.

I also use the possiblilty to add app specific dialogs into to installer, e.g.
to configure the place for additional app-specific DATA folders which can be
used from more than one application or different versions of the same
application.

In my scientific applications I typically add into the installation to make a
choice between several "models" which are installed as an bundle of files and
folders at a user defined place which has to be saved in the netbeans.conf file
to be found by the application later.

Trouble with  UAC and variants to be able to install the applications in
central administered windows environment of universities or big companies has
to be keep in mind. With nbi it was sometimes complicated to solve such
problems.

An further point in this szenario in the past for me was that often the user
has often liminted space for the cache it it is per default on a remote
harddisk. For these cases it would be great if the installer is able to change
the place where the application stores the cache, e.g. on a local folder.

With nbi I often run into problems for deinstallation  of the complete
application due to file-rights-problems. This point should be overcome the
tools of your approach, I think.

best regards
Oliver