Hi,

Some comments below.

El 9/5/22 a las 22:17, Łukasz Bownik escribió:
So I suspect that the probability of any *external client *calling this
method is 0.

As we have explained in some other threads, NetBeans is both an IDE and a platform. We want to be as much backwards compatible as possible.

Even though you suspect "the probability of any external client calling this method is zero" (which IMHO is a bold statement coming from a newbie) and want to remove a method from an API, we still want to be backwards compatible.

For making API changes I think the method is as follows [1]:

1. Newbies should discuss in the mailing list why they want to change an API, telling us if it is because "they suspect" the code is used "with zero probability", or because they've investigated the usage of the API in other ten NetBeans applications, or any other reasoning. If the change to the API affects a module that is heavily used (such as this one) then be ready to reason your change proposal with sound arguments.

2. Methods that are to be removed must add the @Deprecated annotation and won't be removed immediately, there's a grace period for API clients to have time to prepare for the change. Of course, deprecated methods should work _exactly_ the same as before the change.

3. API changes have to be documented in the `apichanges.xml` file [2].

4. API changes must bump the "specification version" in the module's manifest.mf file [3].

5. API changes have to update the ".sig" signature file [4] with the new signature.

Hope this helps,
Antonio

[1]
Read this full thread in the mailing list archive for some other tips on changing a NetBeans API.

[2]
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/platform/openide.util/apichanges.xml

[3]
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/ddcd57d016b1e801b6a7fba973ae9889d108b1f3/platform/openide.util/manifest.mf#L4