On 22/10/17 12:54 AM, Oliver Rettig wrote:
Hi all,

since years we miss a modern (on- and offline) help-viewer for your netbeans
platform applications. Now, we have just started a student project at the
Cooperative State University Karlsruhe (Germany) to fill this gap. It will run
the next six months.

Of course we have our specific needs and wishes but it will be great, if we can
implement something, which is interesting for many:-)

My personal main point is, that I want to add documentation into netbeans-
platform modules. If I collect some modules to a platform app I want to have a
tool which collects the documentation parts from all the included modules
automatically. I also want to integrate a help-viewer as on offline viewer into
the rcp-app by invoking a browser but I also want to push to a online-
available documentation maybe into a docuwiki page.

So, if you are interested please give us feedback what functionality you like
to see in a new Java-Help Viewer and if you know projects we have to look in,
or give us other hints about java-help.

I've heard that NetBeans help was lost because of Apache licensing restrictions; I don't know if that's true. If it is true, I've wondered if a plugin could be built out of the java help infrastructure that hooked into the existing NetBeans help. I never thought the help was great, but I sure miss it. I don't suggest this in place of the functionality you mention, but it might be a useful step that could be quickly put in place.

I very much like the ideas you mention of different ways to browse through, and extend, NetBeans help and documentation.

Best wishes for success,
-ernie

Here is a list what I have found just now and looks interesting for us:

https://git.rwth-aachen.de/netbeans/nb-help
https://github.com/AleksandraMisic762/help-in-browser-dev
https://git.rwth-aachen.de/j.hofschroeer/nb-help
https://github.com/hubersn/SwingHelpViewer