Hi,

There are a bunch of issues that have been raised recently about our
ASF macOS packages, including -

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/6052
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/6104

Aside from the problems that at the moment only John can create and
sign the ASF installer (and I believe the machine he uses for this
might be on its last legs?!) we're seeing more and more issues with
how it's working with Apple's Gatekeeper.  Having the current build
files in the main repo occasionally causes issues, and I can't get
them to work on my own M1 mac correctly.

The installer has scripts that are writing into the signed .app folder
- a cache pre-fill which doesn't actually work, and just seems to be
writing an error file, and I presume the JDK location into
netbeans.conf?  That might be some of the issue, as it is passing
notarization.

I wrote macOS installer support for NBPackage a while back, which
automates everything including the Swift launcher build, and signs all
relevant binaries, including those in JARs.  We've been shipping
community installers with JDK for a while now.

I've built a test installer of NB18 without JDK (universal arch) that
is linked from
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/6052#issuecomment-1615801376
 It's signed by my Codelerity certificate for testing - if we switched
we'd obviously sign with ASF certificate.

I've also added a PR for NBPackage which adds support for building the
Swift launcher with multiple architectures -
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-nbpackage/pull/32

So, if we do continue to provide a macOS installer without JDK (given
macOS policies there are some good arguments for preferring a signed
bundle with runtime!), do we consider switching?

If we do switch, feedback and testing on the test installer and
NBPackage update would be appreciated.  I'd probably try and move
another release of NBPackage beforehand too.

Thoughts?

Bit of a long email, sorry, if you've read this far I owe you a beer
sometime! :-)