speaking of which... gradle 8.5 was just released and now supports "running on Java 21" :)
-> https://docs.gradle.org/8.5/release-notes.html

but I do agree that it would be better to figure out how to not use gradle for this module since this would make the build portable without extra steps. We might start building/testing on early access builds again (22ea) at some point.

thanks for looking into this Laszlo!

best regards,
michael