On 01.12.23 16:00, Svata Dedic wrote:
On 01. 12. 23 15:53, Michael Bien wrote:

Sounds like a useful feature in some situations. The impl details will be interesting though, since I am sure someone will try to add a maven project to a gradle project or vise versa.

The feature should be primarily used to add artifact (e.g. io-micronaut:micronaut-router:4.1.2) dependencies. But yes, it's possible to describe a project on local hard disk ... which will most probably cause an "unsupported" exception.

since micronaut-router is on maven central, the existing add-dependency dialog could be used which would find and add the dep to the pom. Staged dev-time dependencies could be probably solved via project profiles?

It is only IMHO safe to add a subproject in the same multiproject in gradle (not in maven) as a dependency. Maven relies entirely on artifacts (?).

this is what makes it confusing to me. I still don't think I 100% understood what a project dependency is, when the build system is all about artifacts. Thats why I feared it might be something "on top" of the build system - but you clarified that already.

is this about a convenience action which:

 - can add an opened project as "dependency", e.g for devs which have micronaut-router open

 - this will find the artifact by looking at the project and simply paste:

<dependency>
    <groupId>io.micronaut</groupId>
    <artifactId>micronaut-router</artifactId>
    <version>4.2.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>

to the pom?

-mbien

I could imagine that the implementation would attempt to extract output artifact's GAV from the identified project and use that.

-S.

best regards && looking forward to try the feature,

-mbien

-S.