You have to renew LE certificates every few months.
And out of a security-paranoia aspect I guess we want to do this renewal
manually.
So I agree it's not really practical.

Even after Oracle donates the nb.org domain I guess it will still remain active
(just to prevent domain grabbing). I assume it will simply redirect to
netbeans.apache.org. Or might even continue to serve as an enduser facing page.
In any case we will continue to have a certificate.

Now from the strictly practical point: Oracle still owns the domain. It was not
yet handed over, right? And Oracle still has the sole control over the hosts.
So I assume it will be the easiest if Oracle would renew the certificate for
this time. We would not be able to install any new cert anyway.

LieGrue,
strub