All this is a good discussion and let's continue it.

>From my point of view, I have so many channels to follow -- Twitter,
Facebook, mailing lists, and more. I very rarely, although I intended to do
so when the NetBeans Slach channel was set up, use Slack.

A concern I have with NetBeans on Slack is that invariable you have
discussions with one or two people, nothing can really be decided beyond
those one or two people, and so the discussion fizzles out. I agree with
earlier comments in this thread -- Slack has its uses, specifically when
something between a few people needs to be hammered out.

But we must avoid the situation where someone starts off a thread on the
Apache NetBeans dev mailing list with something like "as decided in the
NetBeans Slack channel" or "as discussed in the NetBeans Slack channel".
I.e., but clearly everyone is in agreement on this and we're all just
rephrasing each other's words, the Slack channel -- or anything other than
this mailing list -- are secondary to this mailing list and this mailing
list is where anything of significance is decided and nailed down.

Gj