My thinking of this so far was that the repository would contain only a
very limited information necessary for the (binary or source) build to
produce the correct LICENSE and NOTICE for the given artefact. So, for a
module whose (source) code is under Apache License without anything special
(which should be the majority, ideally all), we wouldn't need LICENSE for
each module. We may need NOTICE (or notice.txt) for some more modules. For
external binaries, we always should have a -license.txt file, and also add
-notice.txt if needed (if such notice would need to be part of the binary
artefact). The build would then figure out the the modules that are in the
given artefact (could be one as in NBM or many in other cases) and would
compose the correct files.

(We also need a composite LICENSE and NOTICE at the top-level of the source
repo.)

I hope this should minimize the need to manually maintain too many files.

I was planning to look at the build changes when I have time, unless
someone else is willing to do that.

Jan