Here's our release management page with instructions I followed in
putting the rc3 together:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+Release+README

What could be added/changed/corrected in the above to avoid the
specific issues that have arisen with the tag -- and anything else to
make the above as complete as possible?

Thanks,

Gj