On 03/04/18 12:58, Neil C Smith wrote:
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 at 11:15 Antonio <anto...@vieiro.net> wrote:
[...]
AFAIK hooks are not cloned, so maybe the gitbox repo doesn't have this
webhook in github, also the jenkins plugin we're using is specific to
github, so it may fail if the request is coming from gitbox or elsewhere.

No, but I would have expected a GitHub webhook to fire when GitBox syncs.
Unless the webhook we're talking about is actually part of GitBox's syncing
process.  Anyway, it's working - let's not question the magic.

I talked to infra early in the morning and they didn't know why the webhook didn't fire from gitbox yesterday for Geertjan's merge. They looked at it but found nothing. Agreed: it's working so let it be.

Regarding the PR: these are not strictly required: ...

So I assume changing files directly to master (without a PR) will also
trigger the build.

No, it's not, unless we switch off direct commits to master (which I'm
personally in favour of for all our repos, but no-one else seems to be!)
However, I meant more documenting it as the process to be followed - as
Geertjan also said, it's safer, and also means we get email notifications.

I think PRs are also great, but we should start thinking of removing those branches once the PR is merged. Otherwise we'll end up with tons of branches.

Jenkins can also send an additional email if required.

Time to edit the process I wrote up on the wiki for doing this manually
then?!  Still be tempted to keep in something about checking the asf-site
commit for expected changes though, at least for now.

Maybe we want to keep it for a while, until we bullet proof this. After that we may want to keep it around as a workaround in case jenkins fails or a manual intervention is required. Also I think I should document the (very simple) jenkins job, explaining those little tricks and that a (infra approved) webhook in github is in place.

Kind regards,
Antonio

Best wishes,

Neil