On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 09:28:25 +0200
Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 6:10 PM, John Muczynski <johnst...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > ...Just because something has a bounty doesn't mean that somehow it
> > can bypass the normal commit process...
>
> Exactly.
>
> Many Apache committers are paid to work on our projects but that
> doesn't allow them to say "I need this commit to go in because my
> employer needs it".

I haven't looked into that process, to see if various projects have
some sort of leadership and direction. If commits go against such
direction if the are accepted. rejected etc.

> To get my commits in, I need to find a technical reason why they add
> value to the project.
>
> It is exactly the same if commits come from people paid to work on
> NetBeans by bounties.

Google and Sony have their way with Gentoo. Samsung has its way
with EFL. Their commits go through the normal process...

Ever hear of Chrome OS? Or Google OnHub router. Or Playstation Now?

While not nefarious, they are able to fund areas of Gentoo development
as they see fit for their commercial interests. Simply by hiring Gentoo
developers, who go through normal commit process. But their
activities have nothing to do with Gentoo Foundation.

I see similar happening in the Enlightenment/EFL community, with
Samsung using EFL as the basis for Tizen. Samsung is sponsoring
development there and has caused some rifts in the community.
They lack a foundation or anything to make that situation better.
So Samsung is essentially leading EFL development now. Not that it is
bad per se. But their interest is not FOSS....

Thus each can do things that are technically beneficial to them, and
maybe such to the project. But without going through a Foundation or
leadership via some means. Nothing is there to ensure it benefits the
project... Which at times can cause harm to the community. Neither
Gentoo nor EFL/Enlightenment communities are thriving. While companies
are making money off both... Its like exploiting FOSS in a way.

Not to mention the whole giving back thing... Like bounties, some devs
get money from those companies, but does not benefit the project or
community a whole. If that money flowed through the foundation it may
go to other uses for a wider community benefit.

Just examples, but they are real world examples. I would imagine
companies may have commercial interest in Netbeans. Now that it is not
under Oracle. Though Netbeans is just an IDE, so likely less beneficial.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.