On Tue, 22 May 2018 09:32:10 -0400
Emilian Bold <emilian.b...@protonmail.ch> wrote:

> Yes, once https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-417 is done
> we might have another release.
>
> (Sadly) Apache releases source code, so binaries are just a
> "convenience".
>
> Of course, our users don't want to build source code, they want an
> installer.

If they do, they can run something like Gentoo or Funtoo that builds
everything from source. There was another way of building Netbeans from
source. Mine is to the extreme, with all depedencies also built from
source.

This uses ant and pre-build jars for dependencies, not updated yet for 9
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/dev/fordfrog.git/tree/dev-java
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/dev/fordfrog.git/tree/dev-util

This is 100% from source not using ant or the NB build system/harness.
Including ALL dependencies, no pre-built jars from anywhere. Only 9+
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/tree/master/nb-ide
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/tree/master/nb-plugins

Meta package builds nothing just pulls in other packages. Eventually
will have USE flags to allow for a minimal NB install. Which people can
make their own meta ebuilds just the same. Like if you develop an app
off the NB platform and need some jars. You make something like this
and only pull in and link what you need :)
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/tree/master/dev-util/netbeans

The neat thing about my from source is the live aspect, 9999 ebuilds.
You could work with any part of the Netbeans tree from git. While the
rest is from a packaged version/release. Not sure if that will help with
development, but in theory at least it could.

I also have a script that makes all system jars libraries in Netbeans
for development. Including Netbeans own jars :)
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/gen2nblib

P.S.
Eventually I will move to a directory structure that will mimic a local
Maven repo. Not sure if I can make it adaptable for git.
Moving from away from
/usr/share/<package-name>-<package-slot>/lib/*jar

To a maven type directory structure with pom.xml's, etc. Just have to
figure out version aspect. As I want 1 version of a given jar, and if
something needs older, it uses a symlink. To reduce jar duplication and
not have multiple versions of a jar on your system. Unless needed and
slotted as its API or ABI changed. Plus have to go back and add group
and artifact ids for mapping stuff.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.