On Mon, 28 May 2018 21:40:29 -0400
Tim Boudreau <niftin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Considering William L. Thomson Jr. single-handledly did the Gentoo
> > build system for NetBeans using portage it doesn't seem like an
> > impossible task.

I have been doing Gentoo ebuilds for over a decade.  I can crank some
stuff out pretty quickly. I also re-did pretty much all of Java on
Gentoo to make packaging anything Java related less cumbersome.  I was
pretty well versed and system re-designed when I took on Netbeans
packaging my way. Using the stuff I have been working on for sometime.

Though others said my effort for updating Java on Gentoo was seemingly
impossible. What is impossible for some is feasible for others :)

> Most modules will be pretty simple

The modules were pretty simple to package. That is also a testament to
consistent project structure for all sub projects. With a few
deviations here and there. For the amount of ebuilds, Netbeans was less
effort to package than other stuff with far less sub projects/modules.

Good work to all current and past Netbeans Developers!!!
Their good work is in part what saved me time. Much appreciated!!!

> - it's those that, say bundle  runtimes and things like that whose
> builds are non-trivial. That may be less of an issue today than it
> was 15 years or so ago.

Hard to say, but likely switching to say Maven or Gradle would be more
work than it took me using Portage on Gentoo + my stuff. Then again my
stuff was a long time in the making ~2yrs. Had it not been for all that.
It would have likely taken more to package Netbeans or any Java package.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.