Thank you Jarda for the summary!

Just checked the Upgrader code it is going to check for 8.2 installation.

On 06/05/2018 08:49 PM, Jaroslav Tulach wrote:
Dne úterý 5. června 2018 21:40:55 CEST, Laszlo Kishalmi napsal(a):
Dear all,

I just would like to start some discussion on the default user directory.
As usually I can point to
https://platform.netbeans.org/articles/installation.html where this
topic has been analyzed. To quote:

"It is not reasonable to share this directory between different /Products/ -
the cache would
be useless, the logs would get confusing and also the user modifications to the
*config*
would could be ambiguous. That is why each /Product/ shall define its own
directory prefix
(based on its name)"

Historically each NetBeans release has been treated as a separate Product. The
caches
would obviously be useless when switching between 8.1 and 8.2 and sharing the
same
directory.

In addition to that modules do not guarantee forward compatiblity of settings
(e.g. 8.1
being able to read 8.2 settings). They could, but the module writers usually
have tons of
problems to be at least backward compatible (e.g. make sure 8.2 reads 8.1
settings).

Originaly we always copied the whole 8.1 directory to 8.2 and used it, but it
turned out the
compatibility issues pop up everywhere. As such there is now the "settings
import" utility
which allows each module to explictly say which options/files to copy.

The current state is a relatively stable balance between user experience and
module
developer capabilities. I wouldn't change it much.
-jt

Btw. has anyone updated the import tool to detect 8.2 settings and copy them?

So far each and every NetBeans release had its distinct user directory
like $HOME/.netbeans/8.0, $HOME/.netbeans/8.2rc1, etc. Do we want to
follow this with Apache NetBeans (we are using dev at these moment) or
just make a difference between dev and release, or if we plan to do more
frequent releases in the future, shall we do something else?

This is just came across my mind and thought it might worth to share it.