To me it makes sense to have NB reflect the level of Java implemented.  For
example, features of JDK 11 can be added incrementally to NB 9.1, 9.2, etc.
(schedule is irrelevant to me -- every 3 months is fine)  but when the full
function of JDK 11 is included then NB 11 should be released.  I assume
we're going to skip JDK 10 at this point.  Releases like 2018.3 tell me
nothing about what the product includes.  But if Java moves to that naming
scheme then NB should move to that scheme to indicate what is implemented.