I filed issue 1359 (self-profiling hangs when stopped under JDK 11):

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-1359

and I wonder if someone could help me figure it out. I traced it by
running NetBeans under the debugger:

SelfSamplerAction.actionPerformed() creates an
org.netbeans.modules.sampler.InternalSampler when self-profiling is
started, which creates a SamplesOutputStream.

When self-profiling is stopped, Sampler.stop() gets called (superclass
method), which calls SamplesOutputStream.close(). This calls
writeToStream() on each sample, which fails as soon as toCompositeData()
is called (line 178 in SamplesOutputStream).

Sampler.java doesn't catch the resulting exception (line 239), so the
snapshot save hangs.

Some googling brought me to this issue, which has a similar stacktrace:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-882

but I'm over my head at this point. Does anyone understand what's going
on with toCompositeData()?

1359 has a repro case, does that help?

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)