I'm not 100% sure yet... still working through the downloader code.  For
each version of Glassfish supported, there is an enum
in
/enterprise/glassfish.common/src/org/netbeans/modules/glassfish/common/ServerDetails.java
that contains among other things two URLS:

1) Link to the Glassfish .zip file hosted on download.java.net
2) Link to one of these .txt files hosted on serverplugins.netbeans.org

E.g. for Glassfish 4.1.1:

"
http://download.java.net/glassfish/4.1.1/release/glassfish-4.1.1.zip?nbretriever=fallback";,
// NOI18N
"http://serverplugins.netbeans.org/glassfishv3/post71v4-1-1.txt"; // NOI18N

The download.java.net links still seem to be valid, but the
serverplugins.netbeans.org links aren't.

It's still a bit of a hunch at the moment, and you are right, we need to
figure out how those txt files were used, but given that the downloader no
longer works in NB8.2 too, I'm thinking it could well be an external
dependency that is broken?

I'm hoping somebody more experienced than I has an idea what those txt
files were for?