The PR with an improvement has been sent to master

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/1150

Unfortunately it is not a complete fix and generally requires the root project to be loaded into NetBeans before the sub-projects of that can be detected, though I do not think that would be a big problem. What I have in my mind for a complete fix requires more changes, which I do not have time to make till 11.0