Just FYI: In NetBeans 11.0 we have removed the restrictive memory settings.

On 3/8/19 9:53 AM, Lars Bruun-Hansen wrote:
Regarding performance:  In my experience part of the problem has been
(historically) that the default -Xmx setting for NB IDE has simply been too
low. People just don't go to etc/netbeans.conf on their own and change it.
Anyway, when you compare the two IDEs remember to make sure they have been
allocated exactly the same amount of memory. Do *not* compare
out-of-the-box (no tweaking) performance. In short: Once I learned that I
should always allocate memory handsomely to NB IDE I've never experienced
problems with performance. I can't remember that I've had 50 projects open
at the same time, but something like 40 for sure. No probs.

This is not to say that NB IDE can't be improved in the performance area.
Above is just my personal/anecdotal experience.

/Lars