On 4/12/19 7:26 AM, Scott Palmer wrote:
Are others seeing the slowness?

Find usages, renames, call-hierarchy, auto-complete… things I use all the time,
I often have to wait 5 to 10 seconds for a response from the IDE, sometimes
more.

I saw these delays in NetBeans 10, but I'm unable to reproduce them just now in NetBeans 11. It would take 10 to 15 seconds to display the source code of a superclass from a library, for example, when Ctrl-clicking on the class name with the mouse.

What I found at the time was that NetBeans was very sensitive to how you attached the Java source files to the modular JAR files of a library.

What worked for me was to follow the instructions below under the heading "JavaFX and NetBeans" (which should work regardless of the library you're using):

https://openjfx.io/openjfx-docs/

In particular, I had to avoid attaching the sources to the Global Library and instead list the JAR files separately in my project and attach each module's sources to its own JAR file. You do that by selecting the JAR file, clicking the Edit button, and adding the expanded source directory in the Source text field. (I had to unzip the "src.zip" folder of the library to get the separate module source folders.)

After that, instead of taking 15 seconds (or more), clicking through to the library sources was instantaneous.

But as I said, I'm unable to reproduce the slowness problem on NetBeans 11, but I still get constant java.lang.AssertionError exceptions when I attach the sources the "wrong" way.

John