If we worked on master and had a prod branch that was the last release,
then we have the same thing we do now, just with different names. This
would be GitLab Flow as Brandon pointed out.

That being said, I don't have experience with the release process, and
maybe the prod branch does not provide any value for us. The prod branch
would normally be used to create quick fix branches based off production,
or when doing automated/continuous deployments to a production system, but
if we aren't doing either of those things then maybe it is not worth it.

-Bryan