It doesn't necessarily have to be on the same machine, but the machine NiFi
is on would have to be able to communicate with the name-node and
data-nodes in order to push/pull data to/from HDFS. In your example this
would mean your local machine would need to be able to access the name-node
and data-node on your VM.

In the cluster to cluster scenario... If each cluster is mostly closed off
from a networking perspective, you could potentially have edge nodes on
each cluster that were able to reach each other. Each of those edge nodes
could run a NiFi instance, and the two NiFi instances could talk directly
to each other. The first one would use List/FetchHDFS and would have to be
able to communicate with cluster #1, it would send data via site-to-site to
the second instance which would use PutHDFS and have to be able to
communicate with cluster #2. If both clusters can fully talk to each other
than you don't need this edge node approach, you could just have a NiFi
instance, or cluster, that pulls from one HDFS and pushes to the other.

As far as comparing to distcp, keep in mind that distcp launches a
map-reduce job to perform a heavily parallelized copy, this would work a
little different in NiFi. If you had a NiFi cluster you could scale it so
each node in the cluster was pulling data, otherwise with a single instance
it would be limited to how much processing that instance can perform.

Hope this helps.

-Bryan