Oscar

Would you mind upgrading to NiFi 0.6.0? There were significant improvements to
Kafka module

Thanks
Oleg

On Apr 4, 2016, at 04:21, Oscar dela Pena
<odelap...@exist.com<mailto:odelap...@exist.com>> wrote:

Hi NiFi team,

This is our current NiFi flow:
Our Kafka is version 0.8.2 and NiFi is version 0.4.0. The two versions should
be a match according to source codes and
here.<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Release+Notes>
However, PutKafka is extremely slow when processing queued flow files, coming
at 40GB/hour rate.
We had to add a dynamic property block.on.buffer.full = true to get rid of
"BufferExhaustedException", and set the buffer size to 4GB.

Flow files are plain text files and are delimited by \n(new line).
File delimiter is set to \n.
Everything else are default processor values.

Previous version of Kafka and NiFi doesn't have this problem. We have another
running Kafka instance to prove it.
We used PutKafka v0.3.0. We built it from source and renamed the processor. It
sends to Kafka 0.8.1 the same messages as PutKafka v0.4.0.
Same delimiter is used. All messages are sent and no problems. More details on
the configurations are posted below.

<PutKafka040.jpg>

        PutKafka 0.3.0  PutKafka 0.4.0
Kafka Version   0.8.1
0.8.2

Errors  No error. All messages are sent to Kafka.
Without block.on.buffer.full = true, BufferExhaustedException occurs.
I added block.on.buffer.full = as a dynamic property and
BufferExhaustedException is gone.
Sending records is really slow.
120GB worth of data get stuck in queue when running the flow for 2hrs.

        <Selection_603.png>
<Selection_605.png>

How should we configure our PutKafka so that it can have the same performance
as the old PutKafka(0.3.0)

Thanks,
Oscar