Hello,

For properties that support expression language, they can reference
properties passed in through the bootstrap.conf file.
So you could define a property in bootstrap.conf like -Dfoo=abc and in a
processor property reference that as $[foo}.

There are plans for this be improved in the future through the idea of a
variable registry:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Variable+Registry

You may also want to take a look at this project that provides a way to
deploy templates from one instance to another:
https://github.com/aperepel/nifi-api-deploy

Thanks,

Bryan