ListFile performs a listing using Java's File.listFiles(). This will provide a
list of all files in the
directory. I do not believe this to be related, though. Googling indicates that
when this error
occurs it is related to the ability to create a native process in order to
interact with the file system.
I don't think the issue is related to Java heap but rather available RAM on the
box. How much RAM
is actually available on the box? You mentioned IOPS - are you running in a
virtual cloud environment?
Using remote storage such as Amazon EBS?