Eric, I believe you are correct that Amazon is pushing for v4, and
compliance is only optional in certain regions, for a while.  I can see
NiFi getting caught between AWS users wanting latest-greatest support and
compatible service users preferring legacy support.  I believe signature v4
is mature enough at this point that most compatible services like Riak and
Ceph have had a chance to update, but I'm not very familiar with the space.

Joe, I like your thinking, I opened a JIRA and a PR for an AWS SDK update
in 1.0.  In recent SDKs, Amazon is in fact making signature v4 the default
in more (all?) regions, so upgrading may have a side effect for compatible
service users.
https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/562

We also had a brief discussion in PR 362 about how to support SSE-KMS, but
keep the signature version configurable (
https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/362).

Thanks,

James