Ahhh large merges.  Are those still on-going?  The solution to that is
basically a two phase merge.  Merge1 combines up to say 5000 things.
Merge2 combines up to 200 things.  Now you can merge without ever
having more than 5000 flow files attributes in memory.  This is a
known issue in that people should not have to know this level of
detail.  We don't have a quick fix in mind for it and the workaround
does work quite well.

With this in play can you go ahead and run that command I gave you.
If you don't add the last number (the 20) then it will run until you
kill it with cntl-c or equivalent.  With this we can see if the heap
is filling up or GC issues coming into play.

Thanks
Joe