I'm sorry you didn't see my reply, I sent one fairly quickly after you posted
your question, I'll paste it below:

Charles,

Welcome to the community! Very glad to have you, it is excellent that
you'd like to contribute, thank you in advance!

For the Jira filter, "beginner" is a label, here is a query for open
cases marked as "beginner":
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-2359?jql=project%20%3D%20NIFI%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20%20beginner%20and%20status%20not%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)

For resources, you may want to take a look at NiFi documentation[1],
especially the Developer Quickstart [2] and Developer's Guide [3].
There is also a great list of NiFi resources on Joey's GitHub  [4]. If
you haven't already, you may want to create an account in Jira [5] so
you can assign yourself cases, etc.

Regards,
Matt

[1] https://nifi.apache.org/docs.html